Monday, May 16, 2011

Fun With Fondant

I have recently begun experimenting with fondant,
for various reasons, and with varying degrees of success.
Here are some of my best.

Victor~
I decided against dying the fondant black/dark grey prior to decorating this one, and decided to spray o the color afterward. As you can see,  I had some success, but the attempt was not a complete success.

I used the picture of the actual jet to come up with the basic outline for the cake,
but the rest was freehand. My cake carving skills aren't half bad. :)

Jack~
This was completely freehand, but I started out with several different cake shapes.
I have taken to baking cakes in different sized and shaped glass oven-safe
bowls to reduce the amount of cake that is wasted (or eaten by me) as
a result of the carving process. So far, it has worked quite well.


Daniel~
Again with the random shaped bakeware. this time, I dyed the fondant prior
to decorating but used spray dye to create the polka-dots. It worked quite well.


Jayli~
This was a baby shower cake, and turned out much better than anticipated.
I was a bit nervous about the feet, but they turned out nicely.

Amanda (AKA Zazu)~
This one is a patchwork of different fondant colors, and turned out really good.
Cutting out all of the pieces of fondant and fitting them together was a chore and a half, though.

Kristopher~
The extraordinary thing about fondant is that you can cover good frosting with it,
and decorate the cake however you want to without the concern of
 horrific flavor experiences.  Also, it makes the cake more moist- probably
because it locks all of the moisture in from the frosting, and it
(the moisture) has nowhere to go aside from the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment